• 1 can (385 g) of Clover condensed milk
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) sea salt flakes, crumbled
• 1 cup (250 ml) buttermilk
• 1 cup (250 ml) Clover milk
• ¹/³ cup (80 ml) sunflower oil
• 2 eggs
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla extract
• 1½ cup (375 ml) sugar
• 2 cup + 1 tablespoon (500 ml + 15ml) cake flour
• ¾ cup (187,5 ml) cocoa powder
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) bicarbonate of soda
• ½ teaspoon (2,5 ml) salt
• 2 tablespoon (30 ml) cocoa powder
• 1 tablespoon (15 ml) Clover milk
• 1½ cup (375 ml) Clover Mooi River butter, softened
• ½ cup (2,5 ml) vanilla extract
• 2½ — 3 cup (625 – 750 ml) icing sugar, sifted
To serve (optional)
• chocolate curls, chocolate balls or chocolate Flake, crumbled
1. Remove the label of the condensed milk can and place the can into a small saucepan. Cover with water and bring to the boil. Cover the pan with a lid and boil for 3 to 3½ hours. Top up the water level frequently with boiling water to ensure the pan doesn’t boil dry. Allow to cool completely. Spoon the caramel into a mixing bowl and stir in the salt.
Mix until smooth.
2. Preheat the oven to 180 °C. Grease two 20 cm cake tins and line the bases and sides with baking paper. Whisk the buttermilk, milk, oil, eggs and vanilla extract together. Add the sugar and stir to combine. Sift the remaining dry ingredients over the wet ingredients and carefully fold in, being careful not to overmix the batter. Pour the batter into the prepared cake tins. Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, or until an inserted cake skewer comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before turning the cakes onto a wire rack to cool completely. Spread the caramel onto one cake, place the other cake on top and spread the chocolate buttercream over the top and sides of the cake.
3. Blend the cocoa powder and milk together. Beat the butter and vanilla extract together and add to the cocoa mixture. Beat well to combine. Gradually add the sifted icing sugar to the mixture a little at a time, beating well after each addition.
4. Garnish with chocolate curls, melted chocolate balls or crumbled chocolate Flake if desired.