• 1 cup (250 ml) Clover cream
• 1 cup (250 ml) Clover full-cream milk
• 1 vanilla pod, split and seeds removed
• 2 bay leaves
• 2 eggs
• 2 egg yolks
• ¹∕³ cup (85 ml) sugar
• ¼ teaspoon (1 ml) salt
• ¼ cup (62,5 ml) castor sugar for topping
1. Preheat the oven to 160°C.
2. Heat the cream, milk, vanilla and bay leaves over a low heat in a heavy-bottomed pan until almost boiling, then remove from the heat and cool for 1 hour to allow the flavours to infuse.
3. Beat the eggs, yolks, sugar and salt in a large bowl.
4. Whisk into the milk mixture and strain through a fine sieve, discarding the bay leaves and vanilla bean.
5. Pour the mixture into 4 to 5 ramekins. Place in an ovenproof baking dish and fill the dish with water halfway up the sides of the ramekins.
6. Bake for approximately 30 to 40 minutes until just set and slightly wobbly.
7. Allow to cool and chill for 4 to 5 hours.
2. Just before serving, sprinkle the castor sugar over the set custards. Place under a hot grill or use a blowtorch to caramelise the sugar.