• 200 g (1 packet) Cream Crackers
• extra Clover Mooi River butter for greasing Custard
• 1 litre Clover full-cream milk
• 1 can (385 g) of Clover condensed milk
• 4 tablespoons (60 ml) Clover Farmstyle butter
• ½ cup (125 ml) cake flour
• 95 ml cornflour
• 3 tablespoons (45 ml) custard powder
• 1 ml salt
• 4 eggs, separated
• 1 cup (250 ml) Clover fresh cream
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) vanilla essence
• 2 cups (500 ml) icing sugar, sifted
• 2 tablespoons (30 ml) hot water
1. Grease a dish of about 30 cm x 22 cm in size with butter.
2. Pack the crackers in such a way that their centre lines are all in the same direction.
3. Heat the milk and the condensed milk in a saucepan. Stir from time to time.
4. Stir the butter into the milk mixture.
5. Stir the cake flour, cornflour, custard powder and salt in a mixing bowl.
6. Add the egg yolks to the cream, and mix.
7. Add the flour mixture to the cream mixture and stir until smooth.
8. Stir the custard mixture slowly into the hot milk mixture in the saucepan while you continue to stir.
9. Allow to simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the stove.
10. Mix the vanilla essence into the custard mixture.
11. Beat the egg whites until they form peaks, and fold into the custard mixture.
12. Carefully spoon the custard mixture onto the crackers. Flatten it on top.
13. Pack the crackers on top in such a way that their centre lines lie in the same direction.
14. Let the custard slices cool down, and place in the fridge until completely cooled.
15. Mix the icing sugar and water into a smooth paste, and spoon onto the custard slices. Cut in slices and serve.