• 1 cup (250 ml) Clover Mooi River butter, softened
• 1½ cup (375 ml) icing sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) orange blossom water (optional)
• ½ teaspoon (2,5 ml) almond essence
• 2½ cups (625 ml) cake flour
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
• ½ cup (125 ml) pecan nuts, finely chopped
• 1 cup (250 ml) icing sugar, sifted, to coat
1. Preheat the oven to 160 °C and grease a baking sheet.
2. Beat the butter and icing sugar together until it is pale and creamy.
3. Add the egg and beat again until well combined. Stir in the orange blossom water and
4. Sift the cake flour and baking powder over the creamed mixture. Add the pecan nuts and stir to combine.
5. Roll the dough into sausage shapes, cut into 5 cm logs and bend the ends into crescent shapes.
6. Arrange them in a single layer on the baking sheet. Alternatively, roll the dough into small balls and flatten with the back of a fork.
7. Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and coat the warm shortbread with the icing sugar.