• 125 ml Clover Mooi River butter
• 1 tablespoon (15 ml) sugar
• 1 egg
• 1 cup (250 ml) self-raising flour
• pinch of salt
• ¼ cup + 1 teaspoon (65 ml) Clover full-cream milk
• 2 cups (500 ml) cake flour
• 1½ cups (375 ml) cornflour
• 3½ cups (875 ml) sugar
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
• 8 large eggs
• 12 cups (3 litres) Clover full-cream milk
• 1 block (500 g) Clover Mooi River butter
• ground cinnamon for sprinkling on top
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C.
2. Use an electric mixer to cream the butter and sugar until light yellow in colour.
3. Add the eggs, and mix again.
4. Sift the flour and salt into the butter mixture.
5. Add the milk bit by bit and mix well.
6. Use the back of a tablespoon and spread the mixture into 10 foil tart plates. Set aside.
7. Mix the flour, cornflour, sugar and salt together.
8. Separate the eggs.
9. Beat the egg yolks and 2 c (500 ml) of the milk until mixed well.
10. Stir the milk mixture into the flour mixture and stir until smooth. Set aside.
11. Bring the rest of the milk to boil in a large saucepan.
12. Stir the dough mixture, which has already been made, into the boiling milk, and stir constantly.
13. Cube the butter.
14. When the milk mixture starts to thicken, add the butter.
15. Stir until all the butter has melted. Remove from the stove.
16. Beat the egg whites until they just start to stiffen, and fold in the milk mixture.
17. Divide the milk mixture equally between the greased tart crusts.
18. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes.
19. Sprinkle cinnamon over and serve at room temperature.