• 1 cup (250 ml) cake flour
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) baking powder
• pinch of salt
• ½ cup (125 ml) sugar
• ½ cup (125 ml) Clover Mooi River butter
• 2 eggs, beaten
• 1 tablespoon (15 ml) gelatin
• 25 ml cold water
• 40 ml boiling water
• 2 x 250 g mascarpone
• 225 ml Clover condensed milk
• 100 ml lemon juice
• 1 cup (250 ml) Clover custard
• 1 cup (250 ml) Clover cream, whipped
• ¼ cup (60 ml) pecan nuts, chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 180 °C. For the pastry, sift the dry ingredients together, add the sugar and rub in the butter with your fingers. Add eggs and mix to form a soft dough. Refrigerate for 15 minutes. Divide dough into 8 parts. Line 22 cm cake tins with baking paper. Roll each piece of dough out thinly and press into cake tins. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until golden brown.
2. For the filling, soften the gelatin in the cold water for 5 minutes. Dissolve in the boiling water and allow to cool.
3. Mix the mascarpone and condensed milk together and fold the gelatin into the mixture. Divide the mixture into two. Add the lemon juice to one half and the custard to the other. Allow to rest in the refrigerator for approximately 20 minutes.
4. To assemble the cake, spread the lemon and custard fillings alternatively over the pastry rounds, ending with the lemon filling on top. Serve decorated with whipped cream and glazed lemon rind.