Sour Cream Tart Dough
• 560 g (4 x 250 ml) flour
• 2 teaspoons (10 ml) cream of tartar
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) salt
• 500 g Clover Farmstyle butter
• 2 cups (500 ml) Clover sour cream
• 1 litre Clover full-cream milk
• 65 g (125 ml) custard powder
• 70 g (125 ml) flour
• 100 g (125 ml) sugar
• 65 g (125 ml) icing sugar
• 1 teaspoon (5 ml) lemon juice
• boiling water
1. Prepare the dough by sifting the dry ingredients together. Rub the butter into the mixture using your fingers until the mixture resembles bread crumbs. Add the sour cream and mix. Roll out onto the floured surface and fold into three parts. Fold in double, cover with cling wrap and refrigerate overnight. Roll out, not too thinly, and cut into squares of 5 cm x 5 cm. Transfer to the greased baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 200°C for about 10 minutes.
2. Mix 1 cup (250 ml) milk with the rest of the filling ingredients until smooth. Bring the rest of the milk to the boil. When it reaches boiling point, add the rest of the milk mixture and stir over a low heat until cooked through. Remove from the heat and allow to cool down completely. Cut cooled tamboesies in half in the breadth, spoon filling in a piping bag and pipe onto bottom part.
3. Mix the icing sugar, lemon juice and enough boiling water until it becomes a little runny and spoon onto each tamboesie.