• 150 ml dry sago
• 6 x ml Clover full-cream milk
• 2,5 ml salt
• 175 ml sugar
• 6 eggs
• 2 tablespoons (30 ml) Clover Mooi River butter
• 1,5 ml vanilla essence
• 2 tablespoons (30 ml) sugar plus 1,5 ml cinnamon
• apricot jam
• another 3 egg whites
• 75 ml sugar
1. Soak the sago in 2 cups of milk for 2 hours. On a warm stove plate, heat the rest of the milk, salt and sugar until boiling. Stir the sago mixture into the warm milk. Cook on medium heat until you can see through the sago – stir continuously. Lightly beat the eggs.
2. Add a little of the warm mixture to the eggs and stir well, then add this to the sago mixture in the pot, stiring until the mixture thickens. Remove from heat and stir in vanilla and butter.
3. Serve either with the sugar and cinnamon mixture on top, or:
4. Put the mixture in a heat-resistant bowl. Cover top thinly with a layer of apricot jam. Beat egg whites until stiff and add the sugar until you have a proper meringue. Bake in the oven at 180 °C until the meringue is a golden colour.