• 65 g Clover Mooi River butter, melted
• ½ cup (125 ml) Clover sour cream
• 1 egg, beaten
• 2 cups (500 ml) self-raising flour
• pinch of cayenne pepper
• pinch of salt
• 1¹/³ c (310 ml) Clover cheddar, finely grated
• 2 tablespoons (30 ml) fresh chives, chopped
• 1 beaten egg for glazing
• Clover Butro butter spread
• ½ cup (125 ml) Clover cheddar, grated
1. Preheat the oven to 200 °C. Mix the butter, sour cream and egg well. Sift the flour, cayenne pepper and salt together. Mix the cheese and chives into the flour and add the butter mixture. Mix to a soft dough.
2. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead lightly. Pat out with the palm of your hand until approximately 3 to 4 cm thick. Shape into a round and mark 6 wedges using a sharp serrated knife. Do not cut all the way through. Place on a slightly greased oven tray. Brush lightly with beaten egg.
3. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes until golden brown. Cut into wedges and serve hot with butter and grated cheese.
Cut dough with a 5 cm cookie cutter and bake small scones for 10 to 15 minutes. Makes 12 to 16 scones.