• ¹∕³ cup (85 ml) Clover Mooi River butter, melted
• 3 eggs, separated
• 400 ml Clover fresh full-cream milk
• ¾ cup (440 ml) self-raising flour
• ¹∕³ cup (100 ml) castor sugar
• 7 ml caramel essence
• 110 ml (100 g) Clover Mooi River butter
• 2 pears, peeled and quartered
• 2 plums, stoned and quartered
• 50 ml sugar
• juice and rind of 1 orange
• 60 ml brandy
• 250 ml (100 g) toasted pecan nuts, coarsely chopped
• 250 ml Clover cream
• 25 ml castor sugar
• pinch of cloves
• 2 ml mixed spice
1. Beat the butter, egg yolks and milk together, then set aside.
2. Place the flour in a large mixing bowl and make a hollow in the centre. Pour the milk mixture into the hollow and blend until smooth. Cover with cling wrap and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
3. Beat the egg whites and castor sugar until stiff peaks form. Gradually add sugar, beating well after each addition. Add the caramel essence and fold into the refrigerated mixture. Prepare the waffles in a greased waffle pan until golden and crisp.
4. Serve the waffles warm, topped with fruit and cream.
5. Melt the butter in heavy-based frying pan. Add the fruit and fry until golden in colour. Sprinkle the sugar over; add the orange rind and juice and bring to the boil. Heat brandy for a few seconds in the microwave on 100% power. Do not boil. Pour brandy over the fruit and ignite. Allow flames to subside. Remove from the heat and set aside.
For spiced cream
6. Whip the cream and sugar together until soft peaks form. Sift the spices over and fold into the cream.